Al Fronczak's 2006 First Round Mock Draft
This mock was updated after the Texans signed Mario Williams.
Friday, April 27th
1. Houston Texans...DE Mario Williams (North Carolina State)...The Texans passed on Julius Peppers a few years back... but they won't make the same mistake on a prospect that some feel has a better upside than Peppers.
2. New Orleans Saints...HB Reggie Bush (USC)...The Saints will likely trade this pick to the Jets and take the Brick fourth overall...if they keep the pick...they will flip a coin to see if it comes up Bush or Brick.
3. Tennessee Titans...QB Matt Leinart (USC)...The Titans brass is said to be split between Young and Leinart with Owner Bud Adams and Gm Floyd Reese backing Vince Young while Coach Jeff Fisher (a USC Alum) and OC Norm Chow being in Leinart's corner...I've uncovered the smokescreen.
4. New York Jets...OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia)...The Jets Gallery Gods at the Draft will get an early Christmas present if Bush falls to them here...the possibility exists that the Jets might try to move up to the Saints second pick overall to take Bush...if if the Saints take him second overall then D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be the Jets pick.
5. Green Bay Packers...TE Vernon Davis (Maryland)......With Favre back in the saddle the team needs to surround him with a as many weapons as possible for his swan-song...the pick of Vernon Davis would be one of great need since they recently lost Terrance Murphy...Javon Walker is on the block and Donald Driver wants out...this pick is now a no-brainer!
6. San Francisco 49'ers...OLB A.J. Hawk (Ohio State)...With Vernon Davis off the board the Niners may entertain trade talks to get out of this pick...if they keep it they will either take A.J. Hawk or Michael Huff here.
7. Oakland Raiders...QB Vince Young (Texas)...The Raiders have holes to fill on the defensive side of the ball but Al Davis will have a hard time passing on Young if he falls to them here.
8. Buffalo Bills...DT Haloti Ngata (Oregon) ...The Bills might move down a few spots and still land Ngata...Ngata isn't a perfect fit in the Bills new defensive scheme...but they like him better than Bunkley and need to address the DT position in one of the first two rounds...if the Bills take another position other then DT here then look for them to target John McCargo later.
9. Detroit Lions...S/CB Michael Huff (Texas) ...The Lions take Huff but will receive a call from the Vikings about moving down ...but...the Lions aren't making an intra-division trade with a team they must face just to please their trade demands.
10. Arizona Cardinals...OLB Ernie Sims (Florida State)...The Cards are looking for a weak-side OLB with speed and are said to covet Ernie Sims...the Cards think about moving down but feel the Eagles could steal Sims with their pick.
11. Minnesota Vikings TRADE (from St. Louis)...QB Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt)....The Vikings land their man in Cutler and deal their third (#83) and fourth (#115) in 2006 and their 4th round pick in 2007 for the switch...they know that they can't wait for Cutler to fall to them with the Broncos picking ahead of them in this round.
12. Cleveland Browns...OLB Kamerion Wimbley (Florida State)...The Browns wanted Ngata... but are more than happy with Wimbley.
13. Baltimore Ravens...OT Winston Justice (USC)...Justice is just what the Ravens need at RT on their O-Line.
14. Philadelphia Eagles...DT Broderick Bunkley (Florida State)...I expect the Eagles to make an effort to move up in the Draft to land either OT Justice or DT Bunkley...Bunkley is a great fit in Jimmy Johnson's defensive scheme.
15. Denver Broncos (from Atlanta)...WR Chad Jackson (Florida)...The Broncos receiving core needs help desperately...Jackson would be a start with Javon Walker to follow in round two in a trade with the Packers.
16. Miami Dolphins...CB Antonio Cromartie (Florida State)...Dolphins Coach is said to covet Cromartie a player he once heavily recruited at LSU.
17. St. Louis Rams TRADE (from Minnesota)...CB/S Jimmy Williams (Virginia Tech)...The Rams moved down in the Draft and are still able to land the prospect that DC Jim Haslett wants for his Defense.
18. Dallas Cowboys...OLB Manny Lawson (North Carolina State)...The Cowboys will either take Lawson or Bobby Carpenter here or attempt to move down with this pick.
19. San Diego Chargers...CB Tye Hill (Clemson)...The Chargers fill a big need with this pick...Hill is one of the Drafts best cover corners despite his size.
20. Kansas City Chiefs...WR Santonio Holmes (Ohio State)...The Chiefs need to find a Receiver and a Corner in day one and go with Holmes since 3 DB's are already off the board.
21. New England Patriots...LB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State)...Carpenter would be a great for the Patriots because he has the ability to play any LB'er position in the Patriots 3-4 scheme...HB Williams is also a consideration.
22. San Francisco 49'ers (from Denver thru Wash)...OLB Chad Greenway (Iowa)..Four of the last five picks that came off the board were players that the Niners were hoping would be here..
23. Indianapolis Colts TRADE (from Tampa Bay) HB Laurence Maroney (Minnesota)...The Colts get their man by moving up 7 picks...they send the Bucs their third round pick #94 in this Draft and a fifth round pick in 2007 for the move.
24. Cincinnati Bengals...C Nick Mangold (Ohio State)...Most of the teams O-Linemen are in their last year of their contract.
25. New York Giants...CB Johnathan Joseph (South Carolina)....The Giants filled one of their needs by signing Lavar Arrington but could still use a CB despite attacking that position in free agency...the Giants also like Sinorice Moss and might move out of this pick and trade down to take him.
26. Chicago Bears...S Donte Whitner (Ohio State)...The Bears covet Whitner but feel they might be able to move down a bit in this Draft and still land their man.
27. Carolina Panthers...HB LenDale White (USC)...The Panthers will take a player at a skill position with this pick and really need to land another back for the team...if they pass on White the pick could be DeAngelo Williams.
28. Jacksonville Jaguars...HB DeAngelo Williams (Memphis)...The Jaguars are happy that Williams has slipped to them.
29. New York Jets (from Denver)...CB Richard Marshall (Fresno State)......The Jets were hoping that one of the LB'ers they like would still be on the board...but Marshall fills a need for their team in their secondary.
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers TRADE (from Indianapolis)...DE Mathius Kiwanuka (Boston College)...The Bucs moved down and picked up the Colts 3rd round pick #94 and a 5th rounder in 2007 and were still able to get their man.
31. Seattle Seahawks...S/CB Jason Allen (Tennessee)...The 'Hawks were hoping that a DE like Wimbley or Kiwanuka would fall to them...but Allen has the versatility the Seahawks are looking for in their defensive backfield.
32. Pittsburgh Steelers...WR Sinorice Moss (Miami-Florida)...The Steelers might make a move to go up in the Draft but if they stay here Moss would be a good fit for a team looking for a receiver that can also help out in the return game.