Al Fronczak's 2014 NFL Mock Draft
1. Houston Texans - DE Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina)...The Texans really need a young signal-caller that can develop into a franchise-type quarterback, but none are worthy of the first-overall pick in the draft...the team lost 2 starting defensive linemen in FA so they have needs on the defensive side of the ball...Clowney can step in from day one and start as an OLB in the Texans 3-4 scheme since his size and length remind DC Romeo Crennel of Willie McGinest, who Crennel coached at New England.
2. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins) - OT Greg Robinson (Auburn)...The Rams would love to find a trading partner and move down, but if they aren't successful they take the best player on their board at a position of need since Chris Long is coming off of an ACL injury and Roger Saffold can be moved inside to guard giving the team depth and versatility on their line.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - WR Sammy Watkins (Clemson)...The team did an excellent job of filling holes on the defensive side of the ball in free agency, so they turn their attention to finding a playmaker for their offense in the draft. *Note - I don't expect the Jaguars to keep this pick since they would like to stockpile picks to fill multiple needs...there will be several suitors for this pick.
4. Cleveland Browns - OLB Khalil Mack (Buffalo)...The Browns pass up a quarterback here since none are worthy of this pick and they have another pick in this round...Mack is a personal favorite of head coach Mike Pettine who will find ways to use Mack in his scheme.
5. Oakland Raiders - OT Taylor Lewan (Michigan)...The Raiders signed three key defensive players in free agency, DE's Justin Tuck and Antonio Smith along with OLB LaMarr Woodley, and now turn their attention to the offensive side of the ball with the selection of Lewan, who will fill the void left when LT Jared Veldeheer bolted to the Cardinals in free agency.
6. Atlanta Falcons - OT Jake Matthews (Texas A&M)...The Falcons biggest need is to upgrade the offensive tackle position to keep quarterback Matt Ryan upright so the possibility exists that the team could move up to secure their choice of tackles or land Jadeveon Clowney.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR Mike Evans (Texas A&M)...The Bucs lost WR Tiquan Underwood in free agency, WR Mike Williams was dealt to the Bills, and Vincent Jackson is getting up their in age, so Evans would fill a need and give QB Josh McCown another big target to throw to opposite of Vincent Jackson, like he had in Chicago with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery.
8. Minnesota Vikings - DE/OLB Anthony Barr (UCLA)...The Vikings are looking for a young franchise-type quarterback to develop, but since none are worthy of this pick, they select a potential difference maker for their defense to fill the void left by the departure of Jared Allen.
*Note - The Vikings have sincere interest in Derek Carr and are also said to be high on Zach Mettenberger as well later in the draft.
9. Buffalo Bills - TE Eric Ebron (North Carolina)...The Bills were hoping that Mike Evans or one of the top three OT's were still on the board, but since that's not the case, the Bills decide to go with the best player available, and someone that will help out their young quarterback EJ Manuel...Bills GM Doug Whaley personally scouted Ebron during the college season. *Note - I'm getting the sense that the Bills would love to have either one of the top three OT's or WR Mike Evans to fall to this pick, if not they could look to move down a bit.
10. Detroit Lions - CB Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State)...The Lions take Gilbert to strengthen their secondary at the corner position since the team has to face the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler twice in their division...The team could also attempt to move down a bit in this round, especially since DT Aaron Donald, a player that several teams covet, is still on the board, making this slot a potential hot-spot.
11. Tennessee Titans - LB C.J. Mosley (Alabama)...The Titans signed LB Wesley Woodyard in free agency and now add Mosley to revamp their linebacker position...A cornerback will be added in this draft along with a quarterback in the next two rounds.
12. New York Giants - OT/OG Zack Martin (Notre Dame)...The Giants need to keep Eli Manning healthy and improving their offensive line is a priority going into the draft...Martin is versatile enough to play all five positions on the Giants line.
13. St. Louis Rams - FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Alabama)...The Rams are said to be very interested in Clinton-Dix to pair with SS T.J. McDonald and strengthen their secondary...The Rams used their other first round pick on OT Greg Robinson.
14. Chicago Bears - DT Aaron Donald (Pittsburgh)...The Bears are elated that Donald has made it to their pick and waste little time getting the card into the commissioner.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State)...The Steelers seem determined to upgrade their secondary in this draft and head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert spent alot of time scouting Dennard during the pre-draft process and both were in attendance at his pro day workout in East Lansing.
16. Dallas Cowboys - OLB Ryan Shazier (Ohio State)...The Cowboys are targeting two prospects in the first round for their pick and DT Donald has already come off the board...Shazier is said to be a personal favorite of owner Jerry Jones.
17. Baltimore Ravens - DE/DT Rasheed Hageman (Minnesota)...The Ravens took some hits in free agency but none were bigger than the loss of DE Arthur Jones...this might be a bit too high for Hageman here, but there aren't too many quality DE's in this draft capable of playing the 5-technique...don't be surprised if the Ravens look to move down a bit and out of this spot come draft day.
18. New York Jets - CB Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech)...Rex Ryan's number one priority is to find a top-notch cornerback for his defense, since he's lost Revis and Cromartie in the last two years...Fuller's stock is picking up steam as the draft approaches.
19. Miami Dolphins - WR Odell Beckham Jr. (LSU) ...The Dolphins were hoping that OT Zack Martin made it to their pick but since he didn't they go with the best player available on their board...Beckham will drastically upgrade the Dolphins receiver position.
20. Arizona Cardinals - CB Jason Verrett (TCU)..The Cardinals took some hits on the defensive side of the ball in free agency and go with Verrett here since he's one of the best defensive players in this draft despite his size.
21. Green Bay Packers - S Calvin Pryor (Louisville)...The Packers could go in several directions with this pick, but Pryor will likely be their highest rated player on their board and will fill a position of need.
22. Philadelphia Eagles - WR Marqise Lee (USC)...The Eagles could go in several directions with this pick, but since Lee is still on the board because of an injury filled 2013 season...Lee was heavily recruited by Chip Kelly at Oregon.
23. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Morgan Moses (Virginia)...The Chiefs offensive line was dismantled in free agency and add to that the fact that Andy Reid has a long history of drafting linemen in the first round of the draft. *Note - Look for the Chiefs to make an attempt to move down from this pick since they don't own a second round pick in this draft.
24. Cincinnati Bengals - DE/OLB Dee Ford (Auburn)...They lost Michael Johnson in free agency and James Harrison is getting up there in age, so the team will have a hard time passing up Ford here.
25. San Diego Chargers - DT Timmy Jernigan (Florida State)...The Chargers biggest weakness on the defensive side of the ball was the play of their defensive line last year and Jernigan is still on the board...Corner is another need that the team will address in the draft.
26. Cleveland Browns (from Colts) - QB Blake Bortles (Central Florida)...The Browns are said to have a great deal of interest in Derek Carr, but I believe the apple of their eye is Blake Bortles.
27. New Orleans Saints - WR Brandon Cooks (Oregon State)...The Saints lost Lance Moore in free agency and Cooks is still on the board ...the Saints receiving core needs an upgrade, and Cooks could turn out to be a steal for the Saints.
28. Carolina Panthers - CB Bradley Roby (Ohio State)..The Panthers secondary was the weak link in their defense last year, add to that the fact that they lost Captain Munnerlin, who was argueably their best CB in free agency, making CB a prime need....finding a starting offensive tackle and at one receiver is also on the Panthers wish list.
29. New England Patriots - DT Louis Nix (Notre Dame)...The Pats have upgraded their secondary at the CB position in free agency and now add a piece for their defensive line in Nix, who can rotate with Vince Wolfork, and eventualy be his replacement.
30. San Francisco 49ers - WR Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt)...The 49ers secondary at the CB position is in shambles wih losses in free agency and with off-field issues, but the top five cornerbacks have already come off the board...Matthews is the pick if the 49ers stay put, but I expect them to use their wealth of draft picks to move up in this draft.
31. Denver Broncos - OG Xavier Sua-Filo (UCLA)...Keeping Peyton Manning upright and healthy is the Broncos top priority, so Sua-Filo is the pick since the team lost guard Zane Beadles in free agency.
32. Seattle Seahawks - DE Kony Ealy (Missouri)...The Seahawks defensive line took a hit in free agency, so the rebuilding process must begin...Ealy has slipped through the cracks and will be a welcome addition to the Seahawks line.
Top Prospects Available In Round Two:
QB Johnny Manziel, QB Teddy Bridgewater, QB Derek Carr, HB Carlos Hyde, HB Tre Mason, WR Kelvin Benjamin, TE Troy Niklas,
OG/OT Joel Bitonio, OG Gabe Jackson, OT Cyrus Kouandijo, OT Antonio Richardson, DE Scott Chrichton, DE Stephon Tuitt,
DE Trent Murphy, DT Dominique Easley, ILB Chris Borland, OLB Kyle Van Noy, S Deone Buchanon, S Jimmy Ward;
Scroll down for Version 3.0 and 4.0