Al Fronczak's 2010 Mock Draft
I've made several big changes in this update. I'll be updating this mock several times before the Draft due to teams' needs changing because of free agency and trades. -Al Fronczak
1. St. Louis Rams...QB Sam Bradford (Oklahoma)...Sam Bradford appears to be the pick, if his right
shoulder passed an extensive set of tests that the Rams' medical staff put him through at the combine.
2. Detroit Lions...DT Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska)...The Lions need a stud in the middle of their defensive line, but could be tempted to move down if the price is right...Suh reminds Jim Schwartz of Albert Haynesworth who Schwartz coached in Tennessee. *Russell Okung could also be considered.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers...DT Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma)...McCoy will be a great fit in the Bucs defensive scheme....*Note - I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs attempt to deal this pick IF they can find a trading partner since the team has multiple needs. Trade down?
4. Washington Redskins...OT Russell Okung (Oklahoma State)...The Redskins have the pick of the litter at the OT position..but they also want the QB of their future on their roster from day one, so an attempt to move up for Bradford can't be ruled out...Jimmy Clausen is also a possibility.
5. Kansas City Chiefs...NT Dan Williams (Tennessee)...The first surprise of the draft!...Chiefs GM Scott Pioli selected DE Tyson Jackson with the third-overall pick last year and will follow the same blueprint that he had in New England of investing first-round picks on his defensive line...The Chiefs also need to find a left tackle to protect Matt Cassel and open holes for their running game, but there's a bigger dropoff after Russell Okung than what people think.*Note - This could be a hot-spot for a team willing to move up for QB Jimmy Clausen. Trade Down?
6. Seattle Seahawks...S Eric Berry (Tennessee)...The Seahawks have two picks in the top 14 and would love to come away with a LT with one of the picks...Pete Carroll is a former defensive backs coach and the Seahawks released safety Deon Grant to pave the way for the addition of Berry if he falls here.
7. Cleveland Browns...OLB Derrick Morgan (Georgia Tech)..One of the Browns greatest needs is at cornerback, but the draft is very deep at the cornerback position...Morgan can fly off the edge and replace Kamerion Wimbley who the Browns dealt to the Raiders. *Note - The Browns could make an attempt to move up for Bradford, if not, I expect them to use one of their other picks in the draft on Texas QB Colt McCoy, who would be a good fit for the Browns' west coast offense.
8. Oakland Raiders...OT Anthony Davis (Rutgers)...A left tackle to protect the Raiders biggest investment - Jamarcus Russell (or the QB that beats him out for the job) is a very high priority for the Raiders going into the draft.
9. Buffalo Bills...QB Jimmy Clausen (Notre Dame)...The Bills can't pass up a potential franchise quarterback with this pick, and Clausen is still on the board for the taking...*Note - The Bills could target NT Terrence Cody in round two, since GM Buddy Nix and head coach Chan Gailey were both present at Alabama's pro day workout back on March 10.
10. Jacksonville Jaguars...CB Joe Haden (Florida)...The Jaguars signed DE Aaron Kampman to hopefully fill a need at DE and take CB Haden to strengthen their secondary here. *Note - *I expect the Jaguars to have this pick "for sale' since they don't own a second round pick and owner Wayne Weaver is on record saying he intends to take QB Tim Tebow. Trade Down!
11. Denver Broncos (From Chicago)...LB Rolando McClain (Alabama)...The Broncos could take a look at WR Dez Bryant here if they are willing to overlook his character issues...McClain is a great fit for a Broncos defense that wilted like a dead flower down the stretch last season.
12. Miami Dolphins...OLB Brandon Graham (Michigan)...The Dolphins filled one of their needs on the defensive side of the ball with the signing of LB Karlos Dansby and now add Brandon Graham, who I've heard, is very high on Bill Parcell's wish list...Graham will bring some heat off the ege as a standup llinebacker in the Dolphins 3-4 scheme. *Note - The Dolphins would like to move down a few spots and still take Graham, but the possibility exists that he won't be on the board if they move too far.
13. San Francisco 49'ers...OT Bryan Bulaga (Iowa)...The Niners would like to find a starting tackle in this draft, and Bulaga has fallen into their laps...Niners' coach Mike Singletary has covered the entire country looking scouting cornerbacks, so look for the team to address that need in the draft.
14. Seattle Seahawks (From Denver)...HB C.J. Spiller (Clemson)...The Seahawks made S Eric Berry their first pick and fill their need at HB with the selection of Spiller here...*Note - The Seahawks didn't address their need at the LT position in the first round, because I'm hearing that they could be targeting Ravens OT Jared Gaither in a trade with the Ravens.
15. New York Giants...ILB Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri)...The Giants have a hole in the middle of their defense to fill with the release of Antonio Pierce, but Rolando McClain is already off the board so the team will likely go with the best player available...Weatherspoon can play ILB in the Giants new defensive scheme. *Note - The Giants could move up to the Jaguars pick at No. 10 to select Rolando McClain.
16. Tennessee Titans...DE Jason Pierre-Paul (South Florida)...Pierre-Paul is being labeled a one-year wonder, but he has the ability to dominate a game. *Note - Look for the Titans to try to move out of this pick, since they don't own a pick in the second round.
17. San Francisco 49'ers (From Carolina)...CB Kyle Wilson (Boise State)...The Niners took OT Bryan Bulaga with their first pick in the round and add a player that they feel can help their secondary with the selection of Wilson here.*Note - Note - If HB C.J. Spiller is on the board, he could trump Wilson here.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers...OG/OT Mike Iupati (Idaho)...The Steelers biggest need is to improve their offensive line, and Iupati can start at guard from day one, and kick out to tackle if needed...The Steelers could also fill their need at cornerback with this pick.
19. Atlanta Falcons...DE Carlos Dunlap (Florida)...The Falcons filled their biggest need in their secondary by signing CB Dunta Robinson and fill another need at DE with the selection of Dunlap here.
*Note- The Falcons are candidates to move down in the draft, if the prospect they are targeting is off the board, since they don't own a second round pick. Trade Down?
20. Houston Texans...CB Kareem Jackson (Alabama)...The Texans need serious at the CB position after losing Dunta Robinson...Jackson is an underrated corner that's faster than first thought and well prepared for the next level from the time he spent at Alabama under Nick Saban.
21. Cincinnati Bengals...S Earl Thomas (Texas)..The Bengals waste little time in geting the card in to the commissioner since Earl Thomas has slipped to their pick...another WR will be taken in this draft since Ocho Cinco is in the last year of his contract...The Bengals also feel they need to find a DT that can push the pocket for their defense.
22. New England Patriots...DE Jared Odrick (Penn State)...Defense, Defense,and more Defense is the outlook for the Patriots draft...The Patriots reportedly have Odrick rated high on their board and are willing to move up to select him.
23. Green Bay Packers...CB Patrick Robinson (Florida State).....The Packers re-signed both of their tackles, so taking a young OT is no longer a very high priority...Robinson would help bolster a Packers secondary that was exploited late in the season.
24. Philadelphia Eagles...S Taylor Mays (USC)...The Eagles filled one of their needs by acquiring DE Darryl Tapp from the Seahawks for Chris Clemons and a 4th round pick...Mays fills their need at the safety position....*Note - I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Eagles attempt to make a move up in the draft if they target a prospect that they feel they must have, since they still have plenty of ammunition to do so.
25. Baltimore Ravens...CB Devin McCourty (Rutgers)...The Ravens acquired WR Anquan Boldin from the Cardinals to fill one of their needs at the WR position, but lost D-linemen Justin Bannan and Dwan Edwards in free agency...McCourty fills a big need in their secondary, but Odrick is the pick, if he's still on the board.
26. Arizona Cardinals...OT Trent Williams (Oklahoma).....The Cards would like to add another OT (not necessarily a LT since Matt Leinart is a southpaw) and a replacement inside for Carlos Dansby...Williams has slipped to the Cards pick because some teams consider him a RT only.
27. Dallas Cowboys...OT Charles Brown (USC)...The Cowboys need to upgrade their offensive line at the OT position and find a safety, but they might be tempted to roll the dice on Dez Bryant here.
28. San Diego Chargers...HB Ryan Mathews (Fresno State)...The Chargers have needs at NT, RT, HB and depth at DE...The Chargers take a back that can be their bell cow and be a perfect compliment to Darren Sproles in their backfield. Trade Down?
29. New York Jets...OLB Sergio Kindle (Texas)...The Jets could use another playmaker at the WR position since Braylon Edwards has been inconsistent at best up to this point...but the team also needs to find a stand-up OLB that can put some heat on the QB since Vernon Gholston has been a bust up to this point and add a DE if they lose Marques Douglas in free-agency.
30. Minnesota Vikings...C/OG Maurkice Pouncey (Florida)...Pouncey is one of the best Center prospects to come out of the draft in years and would be asked to play RG to replace Anthony Herrera.
The Vikings also need help in their secondary at corner and at the safety position and might need to add another DT since the team is waiting for a decision on the Star Caps case that could sideline both of their DT's for four games next season.
31. Indianapolis Colts...DT Brian Price (UCLA)..The Colts could use some help in their secondary and upgrade their offensive line across the board, but Brian Price has slipped through the cracks for the Colts.
32. New Orleans Saints...OLB Daryl Washington (TCU) ...The Saints have some tweaking to do despite being World Champions...their number one priority is to upgrade both of their OLB positions, add another DE, and add depth for their offensive line.
Prospects that just missed the first round:
HB Jahvid Best...WR Golden Tate...WR Dez Bryant...WR Demaryious Thomas...
TE Jermaine Gresham...OT Bruce Campbell.